For a relatively small island, Sri Lanka is an incredibly diverse country. Whether you’re a history buff, adrenalin junkie or just want to relax on a beautiful beach, it really does have something for everyone. With more operators now offering packages form the UK and Europe, it’s never been easier to visit the teardrop shaped Island. If like us, you don’t like the constraints of a package deal, you can get return flights direct from London Heathrow for as little as £500pp with Sri Lankan Airways.
Need more persuading? Keep reading…
1. Spend hours getting lost in an ancient city.
2. Admire colonial architecture in the picturesque town of Galle. Once you’re inside the walled city, you’ll feel like you’re in a completely different country.
3. Tick off some UNESCO sites by visiting one or all of the 8 World Heritage sites in Sri Lanka. (Photo – Cave Temples of Dambulla).
4. Party all night on one of the many party beaches. Our favourite was Unawatuna.
5. Take a seat in the open door of a train. The scenic but 8 hour journey from Kandy to Ella was one the highlights of our trip.
6. Ride the streets in a crazy tuk tuk, just don’t forget to negotiate the price before you get in.
7. Experience nature at its best – in the wild. With 22 national parks to choose from there is an abundance of wildlife to see.
8. Take a walk along the train from Ella Station to the Nine Arch Bridge. If you’re organised enough, check the train timetable and hopefully you’ll see a train go over it. The trains are slow but be cautious on the tracks.
9. Swim with turtles in the Indian ocean, but please don’t touch.
10. Find enlightenment in one of the many Buddhist Temples.
11. Fill your belly with delicious local foods. Don’t be afraid to try the street food, it’s much better than any Western style restaurant you’ll find.
12. Sip on the aptly named cocktail Arrack Attack. Arrack is a popular spirit amongst locals, but be warned, it’s the devils juice and you may not be able to function properly the following day.
13. Spend at least one day exploring he hustle and bustle of Colombo. Despite what people say, it’s worth seeing.
14. Tea will be shoved under your nose at every opportunity. Make the most of it, it will be some of the best tea you’ve ever tasted.
15. Give homestay a try, you’ll get an incredible opportunity to meet and live like a local, even if just for one night.
16. Climb the 5500 steps to the summit of Adams peak (we just did the little one).
17. Be amazed at how a palace could be built on a 660 ft rock during the 5th century.
18. Get your surf on in Arugams Bay.
19. Gasp at the breathtaking landscapes all around you.
20. Enjoy the luxury of the cheap accommodation (not as cheap as SE Asia but, by Western standard).
Have you visited Sri Lanka? What were your highlights?
Pin 20 Reason to vist Sri Lanka